Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Away from Vegas


I sat on a plane. Right then I understood what Frodo and Gollum must have felt in the Lord of The Rings. The ring, though it was in my suitcase in the overhead bin, had some kind of power over me. Like it was burning me. Crazy! But so was this whole situation.

I was glad I didn't have to sit next to my friends who were enjoying the last moments of Amy's bachelorette party. They were all laughing. I was freaking out. I had not told anyone. The girls were all asleep when I had tiptoed back to our hotel suite. They had no idea what had happened. Well, neither did I. I had absolutely no idea what had happened that night. I didn't know who he was. I intended to keep it that way. 

I just needed to get home. Back to my normal life. Away from Vegas. Before it would ruin my life completely. 




My normal life

I think I had written at least 100 applications before I got 1 phone call back. It was a part time job, but I was so excited. I didn't have to give up my own apartment now. I loved my small haven with its white brick walls and old wooden floor. I got a degree but it didn't matter when economical situation was this.  I was a qualified physic therapist, but in my home town there was no need for my skills. Instead I was going to work as a part time gym teacher in a local high school.  I was excited and terrified at the same time. I loved the fact that I was finally able to earn some money but I was scared of teenagers. 

The school itself wasn't familiar to me. There were two high schools in my town and I had gone to the other one. But the staff was amazing. From the very first day I felt welcomed. And after couples classes I begin to loose my fear of teenagers. I learned how to keep them in line. The students seemed to like me too though I was tough and expected a lot from them. I also substituted so basically my part time job turned into a full time job. 

One day, after my last gym I stepped into the teachers' lounge. As I was putting down my gym bag and taking a cup of coffee, Mrs. Blake came to me.

"There's a man in my office. He says he wants to talk to you."

"Oh. Did he say who he was? A parent?" I was getting nervous. Had I done something wrong?

"He wouldn't say his name. But he said he wouldn't leave until he'd see you." Mrs Blake, bless her, was feeling restless.

"Okay. I'll go and see him."

"I'll be right outside the door, just in case." She gently squeezed my hand. I nodded.

Mrs Blake's office was on the other side of the corridor. First I thought about knocking, but the I decided to just walk in. A man, whose back was facing the door, rose from the chair. He turned to me. I didn't know him. He wore a suit and a grey tie. His hair was grayish but very well cut. 

"You certainly are hard to find. " he said and offered his hand to shake. I was so confused. 

"Um... Ok. I'm sorry I don't know who you are." 

"Forgive me. Steven Ferres, at your service." 

"Um... at my service?" This was so weird.

"I'm a private detective. I was hired to find you. But let me tell you, it was not easy."

"Oh. Well, I certainly wasn't trying to be hard to find. Can I ask who hired you?"

Mr Ferrers looked puzzled. 

"Your husband, of course!"

"My... hu... oh. Oh!" I think my face turned pale. I was doing so well putting that stupid Vegas incident behind me. But now it was thrown back to my face.

"He asked me to find you and to give you this message.... Are you alright, mrs Se..."

"No! It's miss, misssssss Morrow! And I'm fine! Just fine. I don't want that message! I don't... Please, just tell him that I'm not... I won't... What happened wasn't real. It was just a stupid thing, and it's not true! I don't think it's even legal!" Words just flew from my mouth. I

"It is legal." he said bluntly. My emotional burst didn't seem to affect him. "Please, miss Morrow, read his message. I must insist." 

I stared at the envelope in his hand. Finally I took it. But I wasn't going to read it in front of this private detective.

"Thank you, Mr Ferres. I will read this later. Now I have to leave. I have plans so... But thank you and goodbye."


No comments:

Post a Comment